Monday, March 31, 2014

SA National #1 - Cascades, PMB

I always look forward to races in Pietermaritzburg. The tracks are generally a ton of fun and there is always a good vibe at the race.  This time we were racing the 1st round of the SA National Series. The track we were racing on used about 60% of the World Cup track.

The track is very physical and has lots of pedaling, so I made sure that I didn’t do too many practice runs. Luckily we had amazing weather the entire weekend and so track conditions were perfect. I felt really good on track, and was very comfortable with my bike setup – I was trying a few new things in preparation for the World Cup in PMB in April.


I wanted to stay as fresh as possible for my race run so I only did one practice run on race day. I planned on conserving myself during my seeding run so I sat and tucked most of the pedal section. I seeded 3rd, just 3seconds behind current World Champ, Greg Minnaar, who was 1st. My seeding time was 3min:25.


I tried out a new warm-up to see how I felt after doing it, ahead of World Cup. I had a really solid race run and I felt great on the bike. I ended up 3rd again in the finals with a time of 3min:20 just 2.5secs off the winner Greg.


Overall I was really stoked with how the weekend turned out – I managed to work on my bike setup, try out my new warm up, and get a solid result. Cycling SA and the race organisers really did a great job, and put on an awesome event. Next up, the opening round of the UCI World Cup Series in PMB from the 8-12 April.

Results:

Elite Men
1 Greg Minnaar 03:17.631
2 Stefan Garlicki 03:18.982
3 Samuel Bull 03:20.203
4 Tiaan Odendaal 03:20.661
5 Timothy Bentley 03:22.035
6 Adi van der Merwe 03:28.232
7 David Hogan 03:28.723
8 Ryan Frerichs 03:29.136
9 Gregg Brown 03:29.482
10 Travis Browning 03:31.632



No comments:

Post a Comment